Permanent Resident Card photos
are not the same as passport photos.
- You may wear non-tinted and tinted prescription glasses as long as your
eyes are clearly visible. Make sure that your eyes are not hidden by glare
on the lenses. Sunglasses are not acceptable.
- A hairpiece or other cosmetic accessory is acceptable if it does not
disguise your normal appearance and you wear the accessory on a regular
- The photos must clearly show your face. If you may not remove your head
covering for religious reasons, make sure your full facial features are
- Photos must have been taken within the last 12 months to ensure an
- Photos may be either black and white or colour.
- Your face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression,
neither frowning nor smiling, and with your mouth closed.
The two photos must:
- show a full front view of the person's head showing full face centred in
the middle of the photo;
- be clear, well-defined and taken against a plain white background
- be produced from the same unretouched film or from the same file
capturing the digital image or from two identical photos exposed
simultaneously by a split-image or multi-lens camera;
- be original photos (not taken from any existing photo);
- New: measure between 31 mm and 36 mm (1 1/4" and 1
7/16") from chin to crown (top of hair);
- have a 50 mm x 70 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″) finished size;
- be on photographic paper that has a backing which accepts and retains
the date. Photos without this backing are not acceptable;
- be on prints that are well-fixed and washed to prevent discolouration;
- bear the date the photo was taken (not the date the photo was printed)
directly on the back of one print (stick-on labels are not acceptable).